dcarto

Friday, June 30, 2006

Mystery Hooch

I finally did it, I bottled the mystery fruit mixture that i fermented last autumn. It doesn't taste like urine, and it doesn't taste like champagne either. It tastes like white trash wine at its finest. And it will be white trash sparkling wine.

I harvested 25 pounds of fall fruit and blended them into a juicy pulp in a cuisinart. The fruit consisted of 10 pounds of bland red delicious apples, and 15 pounds of asian apple-pears. The whole experiment was to see what I could do with some fruit a neighbor was giving away. He was holding a beer while telling me he couldn't think of what to do with all this fruit, and it gave me the idea, maybe I can make some use of it by fermenting it?

A boiling honey/cinnamon/clove mixture was poured over top the fruit to pasteurize it. Then when it cooled, I pitched champagne yeast in it. I supposed I was making cider or the recipe was actually similar to a "scrumpy" a Cornish cider with a rat in it (you can also use raw beef cubes if you actually want to buy a rat substitute). I chose not to add meat or raisins to this.

It tastes okay, i'm going to keep it bottled until this winter, and maybe age it a few years. It might be good and it might be awful. I tasted some of it and it's weird to say the least. It tastes sort of like spiced honey wine with mystery fruit flavors in it. I guess this is what i was thinking when I made it. Watching it ferment is half the fun, but next time I want to use enzymes to break down the fruit better.

1 Comments:

Blogger slomo said...

Sounds interesting. I'm glad you left out the rat (or the beef for that matter), it sounds gross.

[On a side note, if you want a squirrel, I have an electrocuted one decomposing on an electric line into my house; the utility company still hasn't come out to fetch it even though I contacted them days ago.]

I'm interested in hearing more about brewing fermented beverages. I'm going to have to get detailed scoop from you or C.C.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home