dcarto

Monday, June 19, 2006

Low technology

This battery charger charges two AA batteries in about 2 sunny days. On a good sunny day this thing charges at the rate of 150 ma/hour. I set a pair of batteries out for a bicycle light and that took a week. Gradually the NiMH batteries are replacing all the remote controls and everything in the house.

It's pretty easy and kind of fun too. I particularly enjoy taking a nap with the radio on and letting the batteries run down without bothering to turn the thing off.

I also hate buying batteries and I'm kind of a cheapskate. Battery advertising is also particularly annoying.

I'm not sure if it's the solar charger or the nature of NiMH batteries, but some electronics and motors don't like the batteries. The batteries say 1.2v each on their side instead of 1.5 and this makes a big difference when you multiply cells (4.8 volts instead of 6 volts for example).

This tecsun R-97000DX is my regular travel radio. It can get any FM station you need, plus it has really good AM and shortwave. With analog tuning!

3 Comments:

Blogger slomo said...

Cool. Though I suspect more difficult to use in New England, where it can rain any day of the year that it can't snow.

9:55 AM  
Blogger DjMo9do said...

I managed to use it all winter, I just put it in a ziploc bag! Gray days still provide power just not as much.

I envy you in New England for the shortwave part, when I lived in the northeast I could count on listening to Voice of Turkey every night! Their music is fabulous.

1:50 PM  
Blogger DjMo9do said...

Yep! old and dead batteries are now illegal to dispose of in California. You have to take them to your recycling center. Using rechargables cuts down on trips to the recyclers.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home